The Series 80B® is a two-channel rack-mountable version of the legendary Series 80B console. Comprising two independent channels, each with a microphone/line amplifier and The Series 80B is a two channel rack-mountable version of the legendary Series 80B console. it is designed to process incoming signals from a microphone or line-level instrument and output them to a recording device, such as a digital audio workstation or analog multi-track tape recorder.
Download the Series 80B 19″ Dual Channel manual here.
The Series 80B rack unit is derived from the legendary Series 80B Consoles designed by Trident Audio Developments in the late 1970s. It incorporates an exact replica of the mic preamp and equalizer design that gave the original console its unique sound. These consoles have been used to record just about every major artist in the past three decades, including Elton John, Dire Straits, David Bowie, Rod Stewart, and Stevie Wonder to name but a few. More recently they have been used to record artists such as Radiohead and Pavarotti.
The Trident Audio Developments Series 80B rack unit brings with it a historic pedigree and is offered at a price that is now affordable to all studios and home recordists.
The sound and the circuitry of the consoles used to record countless hit records.
In the late ’70s, Trident Audio developed a new series of recording consoles to update Trident’s sound for a new generation of musical talent. The result was the Trident Series 80, the sound of which quickly became a favorite among the top artists. The Series 80B doesn’t just capture the sound of these legendary consoles, it is the exact same painstakingly re-created circuitry.
Equipped with preamps that are great for both microphones and outboard gear.
True to the original design the 80B channel strip incorporates transformer-coupled microphone preamps designed to achieve professional results from a wide range of sources. This is why the Series 80 consoles originally were built to handle signal levels from -60dBu to +15dBu. Despite its extreme gain range, the Series 80B preamp sounds amazingly smooth, accommodating a wide range of input levels with a frequency response that extends to above 20kHz – all with near-theoretical-minimum noise performance. It’s the kind of sound quality that’s inspired many engineers and artists to create better-sounding music.
The Series 80B iconic 4-band equalizer lets you tune your sound to perfection.
The Series 80B rack comes equipped with one of Trident’s most sought-after 4-band equalizers. Loaded with frequency-switchable high and low shelving sections, as well as sweepable low-mid and high-mid bands and a switchable 50Hz, 12dB per octave filter, the Series 80B gives you an exceptional degree of control over your sound. The Series 80B’s highly resonant Q peaks are particularly favored by many top engineers for tuning instrument tones. There’s no limit to what you can create with this classic channel strip in your rig!
Trident Series 80B Features:
- The original discrete, transistor-balanced circuitry developed in the late ’70s for the Trident Series 80 recording consoles
- Balanced inputs and outputs ensure the highest sound quality
- Independent preamplifiers that are perfect for both microphones and line-level sources
- Switchable 48-volt phantom power available on both preamps
- 4-band equalizers with classic Series 80 console resonance
- Selectable pre-/post-EQ insert point lets you incorporate your outboard gear wherever you want it in the signal path
- LED peak meter lets you keep an eye on your overall gain to prevent distortion
Trident Audio Series 80B | Stereo Preamp & EQ
By Hannes Bieger
Sound on Sound, Published April 2013
Click here to read review
Trident Electronics Warranty
Trident Audio Developments Limited Warranty Statement
The following outlines the warranty periods for all Trident Analogue electronics. All warranty service requires Proof of Purchase. Proof of purchase is the original Bill of Sale or Sales Invoice from an authorized dealer.
Trident Audio Developments electronics are covered by a limited warranty against defects in materials and workmanship (parts and labor) for a period of One (1) Year from the date the unit is sold to the Dealer or original purchaser only.
Acceptable registration is met by registering online – click here
The terms and conditions of this limited warranty are:
- The warranty applies to Trident Audio Developments Electronics purchased from Trident Audio or authorized Trident Audio dealers.
- The warranty covers any defects in materials and workmanship and is limited to the repair or replacement of the original registered product. In its sole discretion, Trident may either repair or replace the product with a product of the same model or replace the product with a new model of a similar specification when the same model is no longer available.
- The warranty does not cover any of the following: damage caused by the user: spillages or moisture damage; neglect, abuse, or misuse, including but not limited to the failure to use the product(s) for its normal purpose in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions for use. Failure to properly maintain the product in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, and/or the failure to use the products in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications; normal wear and tear; use of products with incompatible or faulty equipment; unauthorized modifications; repairs conducted by unauthorized persons or service center’s; the model and/or serial number is altered, removed or made illegible; accidents; acts of God or any cause beyond the control of Trident Audio Developments. It does not cover damage caused by connecting to an improper power voltage supply, cosmetic defects, such as paint finish, and general wear and tear, as well as certain consumables not covered under warranty such as fuses, faders, pots, switches, and meter bulbs. Mechanical components including but are not limited to a consumable item; potentiometers, faders, and switches are covered by a 90-day warranty. Failure to maintain, damage; neglect, abuse, or misuse of any mechanical components in this time will result in a void warranty. Trident recommends regular service of the product and in particular; regular service of the mechanical components such as potentiometers and faders.
- The warranty is applicable to the original purchaser throughout the warranty period as stated above or until the original owner resells the product. If a unit is received for warranty repair, and after complete examination and testing, no problem is found with the unit, the customer will be charged for time labor plus return shipping costs, presuming initial user error falsely caused the unit to be determined faulty.
- The warranty does not affect any statutory rights the original purchaser may have in accordance with the law applicable in the jurisdiction where the product was purchased, or any rights the original purchaser may have against the authorized dealer pursuant to their original purchase agreement. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state, and or country to country.Any claim pursuant to this warranty from the date of purchase of any Trident Audio Developments product must be returned, together with the original proof of purchase, to the authorized Trident Audio dealer that sold the product, or to the Trident Audio service center in the USA or our UK service center. All returns to Trident Audio, or any Trident Audio Service Center must be in the original packing, accompanied by the issued Repair Authorization, and must be shipped to the address specified on the Return Authorization via insured freight at the customer’s own expense. Factory original packaging can be ordered from Trident Audio, Inc. Customer will be charged for new factory original packaging if the customer fails to ship product to Trident Audio in the original factory packaging. Trident Audio will not pay for express or overnight delivery.
- Once the product has been received, the authorized Trident Audio service center will assess the warranty claim and arrange to either repair or replace it in accordance with the warranty procedure prescribed by Trident Audio for their authorized service center network. The warranty replacement will be conducted by the authorized Trident Audio service center as promptly as possible and within a reasonable time from the date of submission of the warranty claim. In all circumstances, a claimant under this warranty will be liable for all costs in delivering their Trident Audio brand product to the authorized service center for warranty replacement and for all costs in collecting the repaired/replacement Trident Audio product from that authorized Trident Audio service center. Trident Audio service center may waive the cost of return shipping after full inspection to determine the cause of the warranty.
- Trident Audio will not accept any warranty replacement without the original proof of purchase of the Trident Audio product, and without the registration of the Trident Audio product within 30 days of purchase by mail, or online. It is the original purchaser’s responsibility to keep the original proof of purchase or copy safe at all times, as Trident Audio is not obliged to provide a replacement of the original proof of purchase.
- The warrantor assumes no liability for property damage or any other incidental or consequential damage whatsoever which may result from the failure of this product.
- A Trident Audio product that was not purchased through an authorized and legitimate sales channel is considered “Grey Market”. Warranties for Trident Audio Products purchased outside the USA will be covered by its Trident Audio UK Service Center. Trident Audio product originally sold to the USA market and consequently resold overseas forfeits its warranty. “Grey Market” purchases are not covered by any warranty. In the case that a Trident Audio Product must be returned, it should be returned to the original place of purchase, or the Trident Audio factory, with a proper return authorization. Returns from outside the USA, the customer shall adhere to specific shipping, customs, and commercial invoicing instructions given with the Return Authorization. Trident Audio will not be responsible for transportation costs or customs fees related to any importation or reexportation charges whatsoever.
- Trident Audio shall not be liable for damages in excess of the purchase price of the Trident Audio product arising out of the use or inability to use the Trident Audio product.
Any dispute, controversy or claim arising out of or relating to this Agreement shall be decided by arbitration in Los Angeles, California, in accordance with the rules of the American Arbitration Association (the “Association) then in effect. Any award rendered by the Association shall be final, binding and not subject to appeal, and may be enforced by any court of competent jurisdiction.
For Tech Support and Repair Authorization, please contact: US Service & Sales 1845 W. 169th Street Gardena, CA 90247 at +1 (310) 323-9050 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Trident Audio Developments is a registered trademark of PMI Audio Group
©2010 PMI Audio GroupFeatures and specifications are subject to change without notice.
Plug-in Features and Controls
A color-coded (red) knob provides controls for loudness compensation within the range of -6 to +6 (cut/boost intensity level). Click the knob and drag up to increase the value and drag down to decrease. Alternatively, double-click on the rotary knob to manually enter a value.
2. LOUD BYPASS
Press the IN button above the LOUD control to enable (backlight on) or disable (backlight off) the loudness compensation function.
A color-coded (black) knob provides controls for tilt equalization within the range of -6 to +6 (cut/boost intensity level). Click the knob and drag up to increase the value (favoring high frequencies) and drag down to decrease (favoring low frequencies). Alternatively, double-click on the rotary knob to manually enter a value.
4. TILT BYPASS
Press the IN button above the TILT control to enable (backlight on) or disable (backlight off) the Tilt equalization function.
5. HIGH PASS FILTER – Slope (dB)
A color-coded (green) rotary knob sets the high pass filter slope in dB per octave, within the range of 0 dB/Off (Off=default) to 18 dB. Click the knob and drag up to increase the value and drag down to decrease. Alternatively, double-click on the rotary knob to manually enter a value.
6. HIGH PASS FILTER – Frequency (Hz)
A color-coded (green) rotary knob sets the high pass corner frequency within the range of 100 Hz to 400 Hz. Click the knob and drag up to increase the frequency and drag down to decrease. Alternatively, double-click on the rotary knob to manually enter a value.
7. HIGH PASS FILTER – Bypass
Press the IN button above the HPF controls to enable (backlight on) or disable (backlight off) the high pass filter function.
8. LOW PASS FILTER – Slope (dB)
A color-coded (green) rotary knob sets the low pass filter slope in dB per octave, within the range of 0 dB/Off (Off=default) to 18 dB. Click the knob and drag up to increase the value and drag down to decrease. Alternatively, double-click on the rotary knob to manually enter a value.
9. LOW PASS FILTER – Frequency (Hz)
A color-coded (green) rotary knob sets the low pass filter corner frequency within 4 kHz to 15 kHz. Click the knob and drag up to increase the frequency and drag down to decrease. Alternatively, double-click on the rotary knob to manually enter a value.
10. LOW PASS FILTER – Bypass
Press the IN button above the LPF controls to enable (backlight on) or disable (backlight off) the low pass filter function.
A color-coded (black) rotary knob sets the saturation enhancement level within the range of 0 (MIN) and 100 (MAX). Click the knob and drag up to increase the value and drag down to decrease. Alternatively, double-click on the rotary knob to manually enter a value.
12. SATURATION Bypass
Press the IN button above the SATURATION control to enable (backlight on) or disable (backlight off) the saturation enhancement function.
A color-coded (red) rotary knob sets the output gain level within the range of -16 dB to +16 dB. Click the knob and drag up to increase the value and drag down to decrease. Alternatively, double-click on the rotary knob to manually enter a value.
14. POLARITY (Ø)
Press the Ø button above the OUTPUT control to invert the signal polarity (backlight on) or maintain the current polarity (backlight off).
Press the ON button above the VU meter to enable (backlight on) or disable (backlight off) the VU and PPM metering functions.
16. 0 VU CALIBRATION
Use the -8.0 or -18.0 radio buttons above the VU meter to toggle between a 0 VU calibration level of -8.0 dBFS or -18 dBFS respectively. NOTE: Calibration applies to the VU meter only; the PPM meter range is mapped directly to peak values between -20 and +3 dBFS.
iLok License Manager is used for software activation (2 activations per license). For more information about iLok License Manager, please visit ilok.com.